Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Healing...in a pile of crap."

I have one class this semester that I always look forward to. The class is how to teach writing. If you know me, I hate to write, mostly because I am not good at it. But during this class the professor has challenged me to make mistakes and express what I am feeling. We have what she calls a writer's notebook. She gives us little prompts that are so general you can go what ever way you want with them. I have created a couple of things I am sort of proud of. 

This first one was an exercise where she gave us a bunch of poems and we had to go through one poem and circle the words you liked and black out the ones you didn't. I chose the Poem called, Where I'm From by George Ella Lyons. I came up with this...

"I remember my soul, myself. Strong...Lost. My eye shut to keep my sight, under spilling lost faces beneath moments."

Another exercise that we did was so cool. She had cut out words from all different kinds of magazines and put them in a big bag. We reached in and pulled out a handful of words and with those we had to create a sentence. Mine was this...

"Healing with downturn relevance."---think about that one.

The last exercise was called 6 word memoirs. Basically you think of six words that convey what your life is at that moment. I made a couple of them.

"Lost. But know exactly where headed."
"Healing...in a pile of crap."
"Scared greatly for what's ahead."
"Trying to be everything, but unsuccessful."
"Trying to find understanding while hurting."

I have been able to get out what I have been feeling in ways I didn't know existed. And it is for a class! Who would have thought?? It is really hard for me to say anything anymore, to speak a word about what I am feeling. I am glad that I have some sort of outlet for my thoughts...


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful words :) What a blessing to have this class during this season of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Sarah. Beautiful Sarah... :)

    ReplyDelete